Made from scrap

Made from scrap
All's well

Followers

Total Pageviews

Saturday 14 May 2011

Digging For Victory


I thought I would give you a tour of my garden in this post.  I have been busy and have lots to show you.  I use 'Deep Raised Beds' to grow vegetables in a small space.  These have several advantages.  They are easy to maintain, easy weeding and no digging and the soil warms up a little quicker to give the plants a headstart.  I read a book 'Square Foot Gardening' and follow some of these ideas, as plants are finished more get poked in.  I get a reasonable amount of produce from a small space although it does become haphazard.

I rotate what it is them each year as vegetables do not like to grow in the same space year after year.  The Potatoes are taking over here but there are also Parsnips and Courgettes.


This bed is home to Spinach, Onion, Turnips, Beetroot, Broad Beans, one or two Lettuce, and a Tomatillo.  It also has the Cold Frame that I use for salad crops, Rocket, Radish and Chives.


 The last one has Runner Beans, Peas and Kohlrabi.



 I also have ten Tomato plants in gowbags, in the Greenhouse.


A couple of Cucumber plants.  I am not very good at growing cucumbers but I try every year.


And five Chilli plants.  The Greenhouse is long overdue a clean and tidy up.  It is on my list of things to do.

I have this little Fig Tree that hated the harsh Winter, even the leaves aren't enough to cover your modesty!


The little Apple tree however, promises a bumper crop.


I have one blackcurrant bush and it is a really heavy 'cropper' I will get 5-6 pound of fruit from it. 


I also grow a few herbs, this lovely Sage bush attracts all the pollinators, the bees love it (so do the chickens!)   

8 comments:

  1. Amazing garden, lovely crops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow fantastic. You're a one woman growing machine. It's beautiful.
    Love
    Tickety-boo
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I'm green with envy. I was slow off the mark this year (didn't expect our hot, sunny April) and am still waiting for most things to sprout.

    Your garden appears longer and wider than ours (60ft by 18ft). Just to get perspecive is that 3 or 4 raised beds plus the greenhouse?

    - Pam (stalked you from Ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post and what a wonderful garden. I would love to have green, open space like yours.
    Lucky Lucy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is looking great and your vegetables are amazing, much further on than ours.
    It has gone really cold again, hope we aren't going to get more frosts.
    Carol xx
    p.s. love your new collage blog heading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lucy.. thanks for showing your wonderful raised beds.. I think your post finally convinced hubby to build me some.. YAY!! And then I said.. and I want a greenhouse too! LOL.. Hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are all so kind to me. Thank you. I worried wether I was a bit too enthusiastic about my garden in this post, I bet my neighbours wonder what I am up to photographing funny little figs! I love looking at other people's gardening on blogs though. I find myself pottering about up the garden frequently throughout the day and I love to notice all the little changes. Seeds germinating always give me a buzz and I get positively over excited about any kind of homegrown harvest! I can't wait to make Medha's Indian 'potato' recipes again with homegrown potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll wait for the post with the recipes made from the home grown potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy reading all of the feedback from your comments. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and sharing your thoughts. Sadly I have found it necessary to enable word verification, something I was trying to avoid...but I am receiving an unmanageable deluge of Spam! We don't want that do we? xxx :)